Interactive Poster Review

Reviewing the independence poster project I think overall it went very well. As documented before, the reception to the poster was largely positive. Also judging my poster’s success against my stated aims it was largely successful. It portrayed many media concepts, albeit in a symbolic way. It was also entertaining to the audience but as I saw in my tests with skaters also worked well without the audience paying it much notice. It also didn’t use any text, which was my third aim.

One thing I could have done differently is collaborate more with other people for the duration of the project. One thing I learned during the Dorset independence poster mini-project is how idea generation is enhanced by collecting the ideas of many different people and refining it into one. Even though the interactive poster was an independent project, I could have asked for some more feedback from others in the idea generation stage to further hone my ideas.

One of the most challenging issues I had with the project was not with the main project itself, but with the documentation of it. I had to learn how to implement a Processing.js plugin for wordpress and a code highliter called Crayon in order to adequately record my Processing sketches, and host the wordpress blog on my own site. Even so inputting Processing sketches into wordpress blogs was quite a tedious process and was prone to breaking due to the fact the version of Processing I was working in and the one used in the plugin were different. Working with Processsing itself could also be quite frustrating at times, as it is built upon Java, it could sometimes work quite slow, even in cases where there wasn’t much computational power needed to render the sketch. If I were to do a project of this kind again I would like to look into using C++, Open GL and Open CV in order to fully utilize the graphics processing of a computer and give myself a lot more functionality.

Through this project I learnt the importance of user testing and creating many prototypes before reaching a final result. I created many “test” Processing sketches in order to hone my ideas and to make sure my sketches were functional. Although it took at lot of work I am pleased with the result and it was an interesting learning process.

The thing I enjoyed most about the project was learning more about Processing and programming in general. It is certainly an area I want to look into in the future. I would also like to learn more about Processing, especially in regards to using it with an Arduino, as this is an area I am really interested in.